The Quad

Fraternity and sorority recruitment quickly approaches

Amy Shah

Staff Writer

In the upcoming weeks, recruitment for fraternity and sorority life will be at its peak. As many students have seen, there are posters, Greek t-shirts, pamphlets, and a number of other advertisements around campus. For some of us, recruitment is already on our minds; some have already begun talking to some sisters and brothers. For others, they may still be on the fence between whether or not to go through recruitment. For others still, it is just not for them. And that’s all okay. This is college after all. Hopefully the following information can shed some light on the situation, or at least provide a bit more information for students who are curious.

Last year, many freshmen likely felt that joining fraternity and sorority life was not at the top of their lists. The Greek life meet and greet and the information sessions offered students an opportunity to check it out. Students learned at the meet and greet that nothing was binding, which gave them an opportunity to give things a try. Going through recruitment, however, can be confusing.

There are three councils consisting of all the sororities and fraternities on campus: Interfraternity Council (IFC), Panhellenic Council (PHC), and Black and Latino Greek Council (BLGC).

The Interfraternity Council is composed of seven fraternity chapters: Delta Chi, Kappa Delta Rho, Pi Kappa Phi, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Pi, and Pi Kappa Alpha. Pi Kappa Alpha is a recent edition to fraternity life on campus; therefore they will not be participating in the regular recruitment period. Instead, Pi Kappa Alpha staff members will be on campus on Sept. 23 to recruit for this new chapter.

If interested, it’s best to contact Jordan King or Hank Walden. Their contact information can be found on the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life website: http://www. wcupa.edu/_services/stu.
greeklife/community-Growth.aspx.

Apart from Pi Kappa Alpha, the other six fraternities will be seen during the regular recruitment period. The best way to get involved in the process is to attend information sessions held by the IFC and the individual fraternity chapters. The individual information sessions are being held on Sept. 10 and Sept. 12.

More information regarding the sessions can be found on the IFC website under the recruitment tab: http://wcu. orgsync.com/org/ifc/Recruitment. Further questions can be directed to a member of the IFC or any of the fraternity brothers.

“Find what you want to do and just do it,” Mitchell Paulinho, president of the Interfraternity Council, said. “Don’t let someone else’s opinion changeyours.”

On the other side of recruitment is the Panhellenic Council; it is composed of nine sorority chapters: Alpha Phi, Delta Zeta, Alpha Delta Pi, Delta Phi Epsilon, Zeta Tau Alpha, Phi Mu, Phi Sigma Sigma, Alpha Xi Delta, and Alpha Sigma Tau. Alpha Delta Pi, like Pi Kappa Alpha, is a recent edition to sorority life on campus. They, too, will not be participating in the regular recruitment period. Consultants for Alpha Delta Pi will be on campus on Sept. 23 to provide information and recruit for this new chapter.

If interested, it is best to check out information provided by PHC and contact Lauren Reidy, whose information can be found on the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life website: http://www. wcupa.edu/_services/stu.greeklife/community-Growth.aspx.

Besides Alpha Delta Pi, the other eight sororities will be around during the formal recruitment period. Similar to the fraternity recruitment process, the best way to get involved is to attend information sessions held by the Panhellenic Council. The next information session is Potential New Member Orientation on Fri. Sept. 13 in Sykes Ballrooms. Following this session are five days of recruitment, spanning over two weekends. The first two days are the Open House Round. Each day, those wishing to participate will meet four to five sorority chapters. The third day is Philanthropy Round, where information is provided about each sorority’s philanthropy and their causes. The fourth day is the Preference Ceremony, where you will get a “sneak-peek” of sisterhood. Finally, the fifth day, more importantly known as “Bid Day,” is a huge celebration revealing which sorority the newly recruited will call home.

More information regarding this session, the recruitment schedule, and what to wear during each day of recruitment can be found on the PHC website under the recruitment schedule tab: http://wcu.orgsync.com/org/panhellenic/RecruitmentSchedule. Any further questions should be directed to a member of Panhellenic, any of the sorority sisters, or check out their Pinterest page: http://pinterest.com/wcupanhellenic/.

“If you begin recruitment and don’t know what sorority you want, you’re in a great place,” president of the Panhellenic Council Alexis Townsend said. “Be openminded and don’t worry about a specific sorority. Be more excited about the experience, because you will get a similar experience from every sorority. They all have sisterhood, social events, philanthropy, and scholarship.”

Another side to sorority and fraternity life is the Black and Latino Greek Council. The council is composed of seven sororities: Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, Zeta Phi Beta, Sigma Gamma Rho, Chi Upsilon, and Sigma Lambda Gamma; and six fraternities: Alpha Phi Alpha, Kappa Alpha Psi, Omega Psi Phi, Phi Beta Sigma, Lambda Alpha Upsilon, and Sigma Lambda Beta. BLGC prides themselves on being family to the sisters and brothers, as well as their rich culture and history.

Their pride of their history and culture is a way to show honor and respect to those who have come before them. Although a multicultural organization, they welcome anyone with the same values to talk to them and learn more about them.

Interested students should talk to a brother or sister in the BLGC, or contact the presidents of the chapters through OrgSync. Once a student shows interest, he/ she should research the different chapters before making a decision on one he/she prefers. The key is to network and find out about their history, their philanthropies, scholarship, socials, and sister/brotherhood. Once accepted into a chapter, the student performs at a neophyte presentation. The moment the student performs, he/ she is able to show the campus his or her excite
ment and pride as a member of your chapter. More information about their recruitment process can be found at the Black and Latino Greek Council website under the how to join tab: http://wcu.orgsync.com/ org/blgc/How_to_Join.

“Keep an open mind and choose your sorority or fraternity the way you chose college. Where is home to you? Don’t fall for the glitz and glamour; instead find what’s real and have fun,” Victoria Moon, the assistant of marketing for Sigma Lambda Gamma, suggests. “You’re a person and you have interests, so find a home that fits. At the end of the day, sisterhood or brotherhood is not just for four years, it’s for life. Also, don’t be nervous during the process. They’re just as nervous as you are.”

Those are the three areas of recruitment this month. For those going out for recruitment, best of luck. Those who are interested, but still unsure, they should take their time. Students have the rest of college to decide and recruitment occurs approximately twice an academic year, so there is no rush, including for anyone who does not get into the Greek organization of his or her choice, because there is always next semester. 

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Fraternity and sorority recruitment quickly approaches”

1. John Jacobs on July 30th, 2014 4:42 pm

What steps should be taken to be a member of Omega Psi Phi

[Reply]

2. Cory Jenkins on July 30th, 2014 4:44 pm

What steps should be taken to be a member of Iota Phi Theta

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

The Student News Service of West Chester University